
This is no easy task since lots of time the land is paved
and/or manicured so much so that the breadth of biodiversity is narrow and it’s
hard to determine how things are affected until it shows up in humans which
would mean it’s too late to be prevention. I’ve been thinking about Urban Ecology and how to determine
land health in toxic neighborhoods.

Much like the Cananea (
Peña, Mexican
Americans and the environment) being at the forefront of using the
Canary in the Mine as an early indication of danger. I think we need a Canary
type organism for measuring the health of urban land. We know that certain frog
and fish can be an indication of dangerous waterways, the canary is a good
indication to mine conditions and Pikas are good indications to high altitude
environmental changes. If we could figure out an animal that can be introduced
to test if an area is toxic or find different types of organisms that can be
used as an indication of the health of the land. I’m not sure what kind of
organism is appropriate, something with a faster metabolism that humans would
be pertinent, and perhaps something that eats other animals so at to biomagnify
any toxics. Perhaps there could even be a set of animals, one for air quality
and one for soil quality (earthworm?) and one for air quality testing. This
line of thinking is more complicated than I thought when started this thesis. I
just think that it could be an alternative to expensive and often out of reach
tests that can be performed to figure out similar information.
No comments:
Post a Comment